We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dual monitor setup - going to sleep whenever!

amark16

Likes # 0

Hi all, I've had this issue for some time now, it was bearable at times but now is getting worse. I have two monitors, an oldish SONY SDM-S95DR and an LG FLATRON W2252TQ. Since upgrading from XP to WIN 7, the monitors go to sleep whenever or have strange behavior. On startup one or both may stay in standby, when turning on a usb device, one or both may go to standby, while playing a game or even when pressing CTRL-ATL-DEL. I know your first thought might be the grpahics card drivers, I can assure you I have always had the latest ones installed. Recently I upgraded my CPU, MOBO and RAM with a clean WIN 7 installation and the problem is worst than ever. I'm constantly having to plug in and out the cables behind the case to get them to work. My GPU is a GIGABYTE geforce GTX260. I thought of upgrading it as well, to bring it up to speed with the rest of the setup, also hoping that it would solve the dual monitor issue.

Any ideas would be very welcome. thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It seems, because at the moment I cannot think of any other reason why this is happening, it might well be a power issue. But as I say I am a little stumped.

How are you connecting your monitors to the GPU?

Your card can, with out a doubt, handle dual monitors. Can you unplug one of them and run it for a day and see how it behaves, then the other one and swap which connector you use?

The card might well be failing but try my suggestion and post back

Like this post
amark16

Likes # 0

Thanks, i actually haven't thought about the power supply. Inspired by your suggestion, I discovered a little tool called "nvidia inspector" which allows a GPU power saving mode to be used when using multiple monitors. I'll see how that goes and if it fails, I'll revert to your suggestions.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Talking about dual monitors. Why are you running a dual question? Or to put it another way, why have you put this question up twice?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...