We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 & 8

ethelbert

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 at present, but am purchasing a new desktop and as MS are updating 8 to 8.1 soon, wondered if Window 8 download would overwrite Windows 7? If I cannot get on with 8 can I easily change back to 7. Come to that would you purchase a new desktop with 8 or 7 please?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If you already have win 7 spare OS - why buy another - buy win 8 and dual boot.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[a new desktop with 8 or 7 please]

I have a windows 8 and windows 7 computers and if I had the choice of buying a new one I would choose one with W7 on it.

Whether you can buy one with W7 nowadays is a different question.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

You can put win 8 on top of win 7 (upgrade) or you can put win 8 on a clean install and leave win 7 untouched (dual boot).You can then easily remove win 8 if that's what you want . If you put win 8 on top of win 7 and want to remove it you can - and then reload win 7 from scratch.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

JOCK1E In Staples Last weekend had 2 Acers both running windows 7 HP

Like this post
ethelbert

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your helpful responses. We have had a change of plan now, and we are purchasing a new desktop, which I believe comes with either 7 or 8. It is a home computer and I didn't want to pay out later for windows 8, that was my concern. I am used to Wind 7 so I shall probably stick.

Thanks for the help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

ethelbert, on the other side of the coin, I upgraded from 7 to win 8 and wouldn't dream of going back to windows 7. If the desktop comes with 8 just google for a bit of help if needeed or just post here.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use Win7 on my fairly new laptop,and up until today I would not have given Win8 the time-of-day - however, today I actually helped a friend with his brand new Win8 laptop and I was pleasantly surprised by Win8 and the ease of use which I found, though this was my very first encounter with Win8.

When I do need to update my OS again, I will have no qualms whatsoever in choosing Win8.

So I agree with rdave13, when the time comes!

BTW I am a young 78yr old!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - if you do still want a new PC with Win7 I recommend Novatech UK, they still offer the choice of Win7 or Win8.

With the added bonus of Guaranteed No Bloatware!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)