We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 has two os systems

nonowtatall

Likes # 0

i recently had to do an install and did not do do a clean install after setting the os disc away and following the instructions it said it would move the old os system to a folder and call it windows.old i have tried to delete the folder but it wont let me sayining that some of the folders can not be moved so now when i start up a black sceen appears with 2 windows 7 i just want the computer to start and not have that screen coming up all the time should i do a clean install again and delete the c partition i did not do this the last time and think some of the old system is in there not sure what to do how do i format the partition c

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I really do not have a clue but have you looked in msconfig, Boot. and see if you have a choice of what one to boot from.

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

thats correct and it shows two windows 7 and that comes up everytime i boot how can i get rid of one of them or should i do the install again

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Go to start and type msconfig.Under the boot tab select the one you want to remove and then click the delete button and then ok.This should do it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

nonowtatall

I am not sure as you might delete the wrong one. I don't suppose you get a choice of which one to use.

Best waiting for someone else to give you the proper advice that you need you probably would have got more advice if you had posted this in the helproom.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok it looks like hiwatt has answered that question. I have never tried it before so could not give you the proper answer.

Like this post
nonowtatall

Likes # 0

thanks what i did to make sure was did another clean install this time i deleted the partition and everytning got sorted thanks again for you help

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There's a much easier (and faster) way to deal with this. For future reference, here it is:

Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete Files.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers