We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Possible virus infection help please

The Teacher

Likes # 0

My ZoneAlarm scan has just finished running and came up with a backdoor.Win32.Clack.nb in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\InstallMate{A08DC201-6B17-4357-A1BC-23357B6EE0F7}

It says that it has quarantined the file, but what is this and what is InstallMate? I don't recall ever coming across this before. Is it safe to delete/uninstall and if so what is the best way to do it?

Thanks

The Teacher

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

In quarantine it is safe - but can still be deleted without harm.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In Win7 search bar type MRT and press enter. This will bring up a pane for Windows malicious removal tool. If you have the time select full scan and see the results. If nothing found then delete it in ZoneAlarm.

I dumped ZoneAlarm many years ago along with Norton.

Worth researching this site for opinions on security software.

Like this post
The Teacher

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

I run AVG Free usually and that hasn't shown anything, but the Zonealarm one did.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What did MRT show? I assume you ran the quick scan?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more