We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gas card reader activeX uninstalled

Trotter2

Likes # 0

Hi, I've recently had to remove IE 10 from my system because ActiveX isn't able to run on it! Since it was installed I have been unable to use my gas card reader to top up my gas online! Now for some reason I don't understand the activeX required to top up my gas card online has uninstalled and won't re-install as it says the system is now incompatable! British gas top-up website says it needs 32bit op system to run ActiveX. I have been using this method to top up for more than two years, and now, due to some "unwanted changes" my system is now running on 64 bit. I understand that windows 7 is capable of running 32bit op (&64bit) Is it possible to revert the op system so it can run both rather than one or the other, if so, how would i do this, and would you be able to put it in simple terms as im not really computer minded. Many Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you have IE10 installed and want to remove it open Windows Update, then View update history, select Installed Updates at the top, then scroll down to find Internet Explorer 10, click on it and then click on Uninstall in the bar next to Organize towards the top of the window. That should revert IE to 9. To stop it updating again go to search box, type update and in the list click on Windows update. Click on 'Change settings' and under 'important updates' select 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. You can then right click IE 10 update and select to 'hide this update'. This will mean that IE10 update won't be offered again until you need it to be.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Once reverted back to IE 9 remember you will have two versions. Worth a read, no doubt you will have to use the 32-bit version of IE9 as the British Power providers seem IT illiterate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad