We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

start menu

Ozy

Likes # 0

with Windows 8 I use "classic Shell start menu", if I install Windows 8.1 will it do away with Classic shell?, I believe that windows 8.1 start only takes you to the tiles menu, that is no good for me as i do not use the tiles

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Classic Shell 3.6.8 is out Click here

Download is in this Click here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This is what shows when you press the start button on 8.1. What shows on the left is what you get. I don't think that I will be rushing to download it.

Click here

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Jock1e

good points looks like i will be able disable this charms margin getting in the way when i access the cornor of the screen.

have i got it wrong or is there no program list in the start menu button, not using the preview download.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Only that list that was showing I believe and nothing else.

I suppose it is just the same thing as you get when you right click the corner of the screen on the bottom left on W/8 and the only difference is you have the shutdown button on it now.

Now I have not tried it it is just what I have read from Google and cannot comment on what else is in the beta version.

My thoughts are with the computer manufacturers at this time when business should be picking up.

I believe the sale of computers dropped by about 13% this year from the previous year and they are blaming the use of iPads and new phones for the decline.

I think a big majority of the lack of sales is that all computers now have W/8 on them and some folk just do not want to buy a computer with W/8 on it.

I would expect that it could be an age problem the younger you are the more likely to enjoy W/8 but that still leaves a lot of oldies like myself who does not like the W/8 set up but can get along with it using classic shell.

Cant see why they cannot do a dual edition of W/8 with a normal start up for those that prefer that and the touch screen set up for those that prefer that.

Makes sense to me but maybe that would be to simple an idea for them.

Maybe when W/9 comes along they may well consider it. Manufacturers may even think off dumping Microsoft and replacing it with something else to get their sales climbing again.

I think we are all becoming to reliant on Microsoft.

If Classic Shell can put back the start menu on W/8 why can't Microsoft do it and do it Properly.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Jock1e I see that the 'designer' of Win 8 has just been re-trenched. I think his latest editions of Office 2010 and Win 8 have been a step too far for consumers. I am not too sure that Office 365 is going to be a great success either. Fine for mobiles but not for the heavy desktop user.

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

i thought 8.1 would be a full system that icould dual boot with windows 8, then choose which i wanted. but it is just an upgrade that is not possible to uninstall. i hope it is not a compulsory upgrade as i like Classic Shell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do