We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVI Files will not work in 7 Movie Maker

Audio~~Chip
Resolved

Likes # 0

I posted a while back wanting help to play MP4 files in Movie Maker on windows 7

I have not got back to trying to sort this and realised the files are AVI and Not MP4.

I want to be able to use AVI files in Movie Maker for windows 7 but it just refuses to and gives error "Check online for a soloution" and nothing comes up.

Do i need a codec or something to be able to play & work with AVI files in Windows 7 Movie Makers

Cheers Steven.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I recommend click here for all things Movie Maker (free info, howtos and much more)

WLMM is not as good as Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (the one for Vista that works on W7 as well) you can have both WLMM and WMM2.6 installed at same time. See info on papajohn link.

It's difficult to advise you specifically as there are so many variables to take into account so suggest have a looksee at link for something relevant.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hey, look at that, my link url that I copied and pasted turned itself into words 'click here' - it's been a long time since we last had that as a feature. I'll test it again click here

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic, for the link but it looks very confusing. I will have a read through it.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 1

Hi I've recently been enlighten as to how to deal with avi files on here - thank you, guys, you've been brilliant. :)

I converted the avi files to MP4, then was able to edit them in Win Movie Maker. I tried a few (free) downloads, namely Freemake Video Converter, Handbrake (can't remember any others) but Freemake VC seemed the easiest for me to use.

Hope that helps you to get started?

Cheers

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks AroundAgain

can you confirm this is the download i need in the link please. click here

Thanks

Steven

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Steven,

Get this Movie Maker 6.0 version re-bundled correctly for use on Windows 7!

from this Click here

Direct Link Click here 13.280 KB

It imports .avi & .mp4.

Under import click Videos, Click in the box above Import & Cancel, select All Files (asterisk dot asterisk), Find and select your .avi, mp4 or even .mkv Video files plus the rest (probably ;) Not had time to test others, Yet).

David.

By the way, Did you sort out your dvd recorder?..

Like this post  
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks Lazurus The 2nd !

This seems easier, will let you know later.

Do you remember helping me with the Dubbing problem, I was waiting for you to call back, last thing I got to was Dubbing in SP and it taking 5hrs for a 2Hr film!

I invite you to mail me direct via the folder if you can help when time permits.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

No, I did not sort the DVD Recorder, as said above i can Dub films but 5hrs for one film is a pain.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks Dave!

Yes it work, no problems with that release.

Thank You again !!!

Cheers Steven

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more