We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any one tried Win 8.1 preview

woody

Likes # 0

Win 8.1 is available but I am not happy that it appears you may not be able to remove it and go back to win 8 without reloading/reinstalling the lot. Any one loaded it yet?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Not being able to remove is quite normal with previews. Whilst it is available it is not the final version, as yet there is no options to download it as an ISO file. At that stage I may try it but from what I have seen and read I expect I will stay with Win 7. I still have a full copy of win 8 Pro plus the update to WMP

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No doubt Chronos the 2nd will probably be one of the first ones to try it.

It will be interesting to see if they bring back safe mode again for us all.It makes it that more difficult to repair computers without it and all I can say is the sooner they bring in W9 the better and I would imagine computer manufacturers will be thinking the same.

I have had to download a program that puts safe mode back on my computer and if it can be done by others why in the name of him next door can Microsoft not do the same.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e, like you I couldn't get to safe made via tapping F8 until I found this. Works well :). Will revert back to standard, though, before the upgrade.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Got mine from here.

Click Here

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

The iso files are available from Microsoft at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

And the product key is NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Not being able to remove, has put me off.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Windows 8 to me does not feel like i am using a new system, despite metro. Its 7 plus.. apps. The different start menu is no great loss, because I fill up the desktop and its taskbar in 8 with everything I need anyway. Can you install 8.1 beta on a partition? If not ill just do a backup. From youtube, it would seem all the new start button does is boot to the first metro screen, the 'app' screen? Is this true? If microsoft wants more people to use metro, I think the majority would have prefered the start menu to boot to the 'all apps' second metro menu instead, which is the true start menu of 8, showing everything installed, and allowing full customisation-cutting,pasting,and general re-organisation, as with the traditional windows start menu.

If I remember correctly, I can still only organise files within 'all apps' in 8 by editing

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

They change after a reboot. Im sure after 8.1 is officially released most third party start menus such as this may need an update to work with the new system. I'll probably still stick to one of those than this new one. On 8, I still use the desktop more than anything, but having an optional entertainment app interface is a good one. Judging by whats on there at the moment, they dont seem to have encouraged many development companies to create 'apps' - less adware trials or shortcuts to major companies that are after a subscription would be a good thing. I just dont want the interface to always look like rainbow coloured lego. Major customisation of that, as well the choice of booting to it or not, without having to resort to third party software, would be a great thing.

Some websites suggest that windows automatically switches to safe mode if you are stuck in an endless loop? It was removed because of microsoft aiming to create a faster booting system, and after doing so they believed the time for a user to press f8 on a modern system was just too minimal to remain. Microsoft want windows to run on just about everything. Im betting that windows 9 will just be 8.5 with a few extras. Metro will likely still be there in some form, but upon installation you will be queried on all the features you want to incorporate. As for windows 10 (released 6 months after 9), who knows, perhaps an enhanced relabelled metro will have overtaken the traditional desktop. I dont think everyone will be happy. lol.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Still think 8 is the best release of Windows yet as is. The F8 issue of safe mode has been resolved but that has only been an issue to me. The rest is, in my very humble opinion, excellent. Command prompt to enable F8 safe mode is shown here.

Scroll down a bit for the command prompt instruction.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Couldn't one just make a system image (Acronis, Macrium etc.) and then install W8.1; then if want to revert just restore the image?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing