We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound playing through speakers and headphones

wickerman999

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I am sure this has been done a 1000 times and I am sorry to ask again. I have a win 8 laptop with IDT codec as the default sound playback. I have noticed that sound is playing through the headphones (when plugged into the jack) and the integral speakers on the laptop. When you go into the sound menu it says speakers and headphones but doesn't give any options to change it.

I have tried deleting the diver and reinstalling (didn't work) restoring the laptop to a previous state (didn't work) and now it is really annoying. Any other tips?

Many thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have a look here. Microsoft.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you right click the speaker icon in the system tray, select playback devices, right click on the headphones and select as default device. You'll need the headphones plugged in to do this. It should now show a green tick on it and the speakers should now be mute. Remove the headphones and now the speakers should take over. Sometimes you'll need to make the headphones as the default device again as Win 8 sometimes forgets. This happens to me when I change from HDMI output to headphones.

Like this post
wickerman999

Likes # 0

Hi rdave,

Thanks for that. When I plug my headphones in I do not see another icon appear or disappear when I take them out.

They seem to be connected to the same icon as the integral speakers "speakers and headphones".

Any other ideas?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you right click a blank space on the playback pane, is the box ticked for " show disconnected devices"?

Like this post
wickerman999

Likes # 0

Yes it is Rdave. Right click and you choose what is shown but my headphones are not there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today