We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista Home Premium freezes at desktop stage

ardeebee

Likes # 0

I am running Window Vista Home Premium (with SP2) with automatic updates on my Compaq SR5606UK Desktop PC with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5000+ 2.60GHz with 3.00GB RAM & 32-bit operating system.

Recently I'm getting an intermittent problem at start-up. Windows is loading normally to the desktop stage and certain icons are loading into the system tray (eg. clock, network , safely remove etc) but then everything freezes and the only option is to switch off, either at the mains or by holding the on/off switch on the PC case. Sometimes this happens several times before a successful start-up is achieved. Other times, a normal start-up happens straight away. I've run diagnostic checks and everything reports as OK/passed. I've also run AVG virus checker and nothing is found. I did run a Microsoft System Restore which seemed to resolve the issue for a short time but as the problem is intermittent that may have just been a coincidence. Any suggestions, please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The next time you have it running ok switch automatic updates off in services and see if that makes any difference. if not switch it back on.

Also check in device manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Maybe run chkdsk just in case it is a hard drive problem.Tick both boxes before running it.Remember it will take a couple of hours so best running it before you go out shopping or wherever you go.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions. Have checked Device Manager and found no exclamation marked items. Nothing found on chkdsk - or rather, I set it to run and when I returned sometime later it had completed & my normal desktop was showing so I'm assuming all was OK. However, I have turned off Windows automatic updates and so far have only had one failure to start-up correctly. May be a coincidence or may be not !! Thanks again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you don't use windows defender switch that off as well.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

I run AVG free anti-virus, which switches off Windows Defender by default. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'