We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Directories missing in Windows 8 explorer

fantombe

Likes # 0

Hello!

I've had Windows 8 for a while now. One thing I've noticed is that whenever I use a Windows 8 app that uses the metro file explorer, a bunch of my directories go missing. The biggest problem is that any metro app I use can't seem to find my "Data" directory. That's quite the issue since, as I'm sure you can guess by the name, it's where I store pretty much everything I save on my computer!

In my desktop file explorer, and any program that uses it, I have no problem. Having to copy images and things into my generic Windows Pictures or whatever directory just so the apps can find them is beginning to get tiresome!

Does anyone know why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it?

I was going to attach a photo so you can see what I mean, but can't find the attach button! So I'll upload it somewhere and follow up with a link for you asap.

Thanks for your help!

Like this post
fantombe

Likes # 0

Here's a screengrab for you:

http://www.perfectwaistline.com/misc/directory-missing.jpg

Thanks again for any help! :-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure I'm on the right track here but it could be that indexing is off? I have my data on the D drive and use the Libraries so apps such as Photos, Music etc can 'see' the data. For example, in the Library pane, right clicking the Pictures library,selecting properties, add, then browse to my Photo folder on the D drive, allows the Photo app to work correctly. Apologies if I'm on the wrong track.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers