We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with pop ups and adverts

carper
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have recently purchased a Toshiba lap top running Windows 8. I am being troubled with either pop ups or adverts which appear all the time. I have set the pop up stop level to all, but I regularly get adverts for gambling sites and sexy adverts. Could anyone pleas advise how to get rid Regards Carper

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe give Malwarebytes a run to see if it finds any problems get the free version and it will give you the pro version on a fortnights trial then revert back to the free version..

Downloading and using Spywareblaster may help stop some of them from popping up.

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I already run Malwarebytes but I'll try Spyware Blaster as you suggest. Carper

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If using I/E try internet options,Security and set the all to default.

Have a look in Taskmanager.Start up and see if anything starting that should not be. Also look under processes to see if anything using up the CPU which should not be.

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I use Firefox, and as I am not yet totally familiar with Windows 8 yet I am strugglinb a bit but I will persevere and try to access similar actions in my Browser. Carper

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If Firefox download this.

Click Here

That should solve your problems.

Like this post
carper

Likes # 0

Hi. That certainly seems to be helping Thanks Carper

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This posted by john bunyan on another forum so maybe check that you don't have this problem.

Click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback