We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 suddenly got very slow.

Pancik
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello, guys please help me. I have had this problem many times with my new computer ( h9-1000cs), but every time this problem got resolved by itself after couple of days. This time the problem didnt resolved itself after a week. Basicly, one day when i was starting computer it suddenly started to be slow. It takes approximately 15 minutes to start up (normally it takes about 15 seconds) and when it does it is terribly slow. I cant play games or watch videos because it is so slow. Thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

How new is the computer.

Have a look in device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks or unsigned drivers.

If it came with a preloaded security program on it did you delete it and install another one in it's place.

Do you have Trusteer Rapport running on your computer.

What security programs do you have including anti-malware.

Like this post
Pancik

Likes # 0

Thank you for response. I bought my computer a year ago. I am not sure if i did it correctly but i dont see any yellow exclamation marks or unsigned drivers. I deleted the preloaded security program and installed avast antivirus. Also, I dont have Trusteer Rapport running on my computer.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

[ I deleted the preloaded security program ]

Sometimes when you delete it some parts of it stays on the computer what security program was it and did you use it at all.

You normally have to get the proper uninstall tool from the maker of the security program to remove it completely.

Apart from Avast do you have an anti malware program downloaded if not maybe give malwareBytes a try to see if it finds any problems.

If you can start task manager as soon as you can and let us know what programs are using up most of the CPU.

Under processes and CPU windows idle process should show about 97% if nothing is running on the computer and that would be normal.

I was thinking maybe a bad hard drive but will try other things first.

try Right clicking command prompt and click on run as administrator and type sfc /scannow and press enter on the keyboard and see if that finds any problems.

Like this post
Pancik

Likes # 0

Thank zou for response. I havent been using preloaded securitz program at all. 1. Opera 829 000K 2. Skype 120 000K 3. explorer.exe 52 000K 4. dwm.exe 31 000K 5. sttraz64.exe 8 700K Ehm i am not sure what idle process is but under processes and CPU i have CPU usage 5-7%.

Like this post
Pancik

Likes # 0

i tried doing that sfc/scannow Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Just in case it is a speed problem could you run this and let me know what your download and upload speeds are.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

I take it this is your computer.

Click here

If so it may help others give you the information that you need.

I should have asked are you connected by wire or Wireless.

Like this post  
Pancik

Likes # 0

Download Speed: 6186 kbps (773.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 3387 kbps (423.4 KB/sec )

Like this post
Pancik

Likes # 0

Yes, thats my computer. I am connected to the internet by a wire, but i dont think thats the problem because internet is running smoothly, only the windows is slow.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could try chkdsk to see if it fixes any problems but I would imagine it would take ages to finish.

My Computer and then right click C drive and then click on properties.Then Tools.Check and tick both boxes then reboot.

Once you run that you cannot use your computer so maybe do it when you are going out and it should be finished by the time you get back as long as you take your time.

Do you use windows defender.if not go into services and disable it and stop it from running.

So far you have not said what other security programs you have along with avast or how you deleted the one that came with the computer.

Make sure java and flash programs are up to date and the old ones have been deleted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED