We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with CD-ROMs using Windows 8

melpear

Likes # 0

My wife uses pre-loaded CD-ROM’s for making greetings cards; we print off images which are on the CD’s. We use several different producers of these & they cost about £20 each, with one particular make, whenever we play one of their CD’s & get to a certain point, an image from another CD one of their appears, which is one I have not used for 12 months. I have been in touch with the manufacturer & they state that all of their CD-ROM’s are closed and cannot be written onto so this rules out faulty CD’s. They suggest & I quote ‘that the image could be stuck or copied across somewhere in the RAM or onto the CD-Drive’. I upgraded from XP to Windows 8 (clean installation) last December but strangely the image which is being carried across was created in May last year. Given the above is there any method I can remove the offending image from either the RAM or CD-Drive as the manufacturers seem to be baffled. I have tried the CD-ROM's on another computer & they work fine. I have used CC cleaner to scour the hard drive but with no improvement. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to remove the offending image?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Have you searched for the image by name - then delete it?

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

The problem is that it is difficult to determine the name of the file as it is embedded in the cd- rom, but I have approached the manufacturer for some assistance. I will post any information I receive as soon as possible.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It can't be embedded on the CD-rom if the CD you're using isn't the original with the image. I doubt if it's stuck in ram because a reboot will clear ram memory. Try using file explorer and follow, C:\Users*yourname*\AppData\Local\Temp

then delete all you can within the folder.

To see this folder you will need to show hidden files, folder and drives.

Control panel, Folder Options, view tab, and dot the button for " Show hidden files,folders and drives".

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

Thanks I wil try that tomorrow. Regards Mel Pearson

Like this post
alexalbert

Likes # 0

Sorry I have no idea for your problem so its better to make a call to your system " remote Tech Support " member for solving your problem.

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

I have completed searches using different methods & have come up with a file which is similar to the problem one. When I interrogated the CD-ROM I believe the file causing the problem was ArchieRib.jpg-Windows Photo Viewer, when I did the search it came up with the description FILE://D:/original/JpgTags/ArchieRib_jpg but it would not let me delete it, drive D on my machine is the DVD/CD player/recorder but there was no CD-ROM in the drive so where is this file lurking? Hope anyone can be of assistance. Regards Mel Pear

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Drag & drop the contents of the CD to your hard drive and work on it from there.

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

I would like to update what has happened with my CD-ROM problems, I have completed searches using different methods & have come up with a file which is similar to the problem one. When I interrogated the CD-ROM I believe the file causing the problem was ArchieRib.jpg-Windows Photo Viewer, when I did the search it came up with the description FILE://D:/original/JpgTags/ArchieRib_jpg but it would not let me delete it, drive D on my machine is the DVD/CD player/recorder but there was no CD-ROM in the drive so where is this file lurking? I have been given certain leads to programmes which may be able to solve the problems which I list below but am a little reluctant to use these, I wonder if you have any experience of these & would appreciate your comments. a). mrstevenrogers wrote:you may have to use a full win8 admin account to correct the problem have a look here and see if it helps ...

http://www.petri.co.il/enable-administr ... dows-8.htm

b). Try a search in safe mode using www.redmondpie/how-to-boot-i...safe-mode/

c). I have tried the following but my virus checker kicks in, these are supposed to be more powerful search tools www.freecommander.com/fcdownlenhtm & www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker

d). A very powerful programme called System Ninja (I think this was the one which found the file).

e).C:Usersyourname\AppData\Local\Temp

f) Drop the contents of the CD to my hard drive & start from there, I have not had time to try this yet.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions of how to complete the deletion of the file. Regards melpear

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

As well as using various forums to attempt to solve this problem which is preventing my wife using approx. £100 of CD-ROM's for her card making, I am also pursuing other avenues. I am a member of the Consumer Association (Which) & they provide free computer advice & have come back with the following suggestions.

After much thinking I’m trying to work out what has caused the error, it is possible that the file may have corrupted and written itself to the hard drive as a bad sector that cannot be repaired. Also upon deleting a file (manually or automatically on the computer) it will still be retained on a hard drive hidden away and only accessed by those with very powerful software used in computer forensics. Somehow the file despite a format has corrupted and left a false print on your D: drive. I have to admit that what you are going through is an extremely, extremely rare event to occur.

I would first attempt to change the drive letter of your CD/DVD drive; this can be performed in Computer Management. As the offending image is assigning itself to the D: drive, so hopefully a change of the disk’s letter will de-associate the drive with the image. To change your CD/Drives letter please follow the instructions in the link below. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter I have YouTube video of this that you may be interested in seeing seen below. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJG8UsqF9eA

Copying the Disks contents to your computer is an option worth exploring, you can either do a direct copy and paste or you can create a file called an .ISO, this will retain the disc as a whole and can be opened using a virtual drive. To create this and open the files I would advise using the free Daemon tools Lite 4 found in the link below.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/products/dtLite

I wonder if anyone has had any experience of either of these solutions

Regards

Melpear

Like this post
melpear

Likes # 0

I have changed the CD drive letter from D to Z but the problem has not disappeared.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback