We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Black screen upon start up on windows 7

maymay

Likes # 0

Hello, I have a frustrating problem ever since I did windows critical update and changed anti virus and the problem occurred yesterday. Every time I reboot my PC, a black screen appears with a cursor shows up for a few minutes before going onto login screen/welcome screen. I did system restore back to a month and it still doesn't work. I uninstalled anti virus to see if that might be the case and the black screen is still there. I then reformatted my pc by reinstalling windows 7 again using the disc and the problem is still there. My pc is only one year old as well and it's quite fast and quiet. Normally when I startup my PC it goes straight onto the welcome screen/desktop without this black screen. What can I do in this case? Much help will be appreciated.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have you tried removing and reseating your graphics card (GPU. Or tried, if you can another GPU. Check cables are all fitted snugly.

Like this post
maymay

Likes # 0

I haven't tried that yet since I am not experienced at doing this and I don't want to make the PC worse. It seems like all the cables are fitted in neatly and not jumbled up.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Is there any text on the screen, or is it blank with a flashing cursor?

Like this post
maymay

Likes # 0

There isn't any text on the screen, only a cursor but I can move it. The black screen remains there for a good 3 minutes before it enters the login screen which I am able to go onto my desktop.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

When you say cursor, you mean mouse pointer? Unplug any devices not absolutely necessary, take any discs out of your optical drive if there's one in there - any difference? What antivirus did you remove, which one are you using now? Did you reinstall Win 7 from a recovery disk, along with bundled software that came with your PC or was it from a plain ol' OEM/Retail Windows 7 DVD?

Like this post
maymay

Likes # 0

Sorry yes I meant mouse pointer. Still no difference when I took out discs. I removed Norton and I am using bitdefender now. I wasn't sure if it was the anti virus that caused or the recent Windows update. I reinstalled Windows using the retail DVD, my pc didn't have a recovery disk that came with it. I reinstalled the drivers CD as well.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I have had one or two issues with bitdefender slowing my start up , but only for about 30-40 seconds , but I am using a SSD . my screen staed blue tho . All I did was run the repair feature on bitdefender , this seemed to cure it .

Like this post
maymay

Likes # 0

Hmmm. I uninstalled bitdefender now and the problem still gets the black screen. It's really hard to fix this now since this started yesterday and so my startup is really slow.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Do you get the same long delay if you choose Safe Mode? Try Safe Mode first and Safe Mode with Networking next time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Also , did you use the uninstaller that came with bitdefenfer , as windows does not do it fully .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback