We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please help, Pc going really slow, dont know what else to do!

richiek2013

Likes # 0

Hello Everyone! Sorry to burst in here begging for help, but I need someone who knows a thing or 2 about vista as I am usually a Mac OS bod! Basically myself and the mrs use her Dell laptop to stream tv, movies etc, and the thing has worked great for a couple of years. 2 days ago things started running really slowly, qq/skype won't work, firefox is incredibly slow, and the streaming sites/software like pps just wont work at all. Even using an avi through vlc stops and starts and generally wont work.

Does it sound like it could have a virus? I have tried the basics, emptied the trash, cleared the windows log, stuff like that. It has 100 gb of memory left, so we just dont know what it could be, i am starting to think it needs a complete re install, or dropping from a great height!

Any help would be really appreciated.

Best,

Rich.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You should have put this in the helproom and you may have got a quicker response.

[100 gb of memory left] if you mean disk space left what size of hard drive have you got.

Maybe check that you are getting the correct speeds.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Maybe give the free version of malwarebytes a run to see if it finds any problems and check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could download C Cleaner which should get rid of all the crap.

Have you changed any of your security programs lately or added any new devices.

If nothing seems to work maybe try a system restore to a date when it was working ok. What version of Firefox have you got installed.The latest is version 21.0

Like this post
richiek2013

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e! Im running Malware bytes trial as I write as it goes, so farit has 18 'objects' detected, but it's still running after 18 minutes. the hard disk is 150 gb so I think there should be enough free space, and every website we visit takes ages to load, so the speed is defo not right. Do you happen to know what this malware bytes will do? as in as ive been writing its found another 600 'objects'!! will it fix things or wil i have to pay them? :)

Cheers again anyway!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No it is free and if you use the trial version that you get for a fortnight that will be free also.

My goodness looks like you probably don't have any security programs installed if MalwareBytes has found all of those problems.

I suppose the big problem is when it deletes all the problems the computer might not run properly after it.

Or the opposite and start running fast again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I would expect it to take about 30 minutes at least if running a full scan probably 15 minutes for a short scan.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

richiek2013

Have you run into problems.let me know how you got on if you can.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

richiek2013

Just in case you have problems connecting to the internet again Most laptops have a back to factory settings on them.

You would loose everything that you have on your computer but it would be like a fresh start.It is usually F10 or F11 as the computer starts but not sure about dell laptops.

Maybe have a read at this if you can.

Click here

Like this post
ionamartin123

Likes # 0

Did you try running anti virus to find if there is any virus attacked your system? As the person above said, you can always go back to factory settings as it is available in Dell. Before trying out anything, have you got your important files stored in external HDD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made