We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help! I've been invaded by a Trojan

sjt0506
Resolved

Likes # 0

I hope you clever people out there can help me please! In summary my Internet did not work , I ran windows defender which told me it had deleted Trojan: win32/Sirefef .gen!E Upon clicking the bottom right hand icon it told me I had limited access to wifi. From this helpful forum I tried the following: From command prompt I ran netsh windsock reset. This worked perfectly until I closed down for the day and then returned to the limited connectivity. Ran the netsh again and it did not work this time.

Then I tried:

SFC/scannow - no effect

Net local group administrators localservice /add Net local group administrators network service /add

This gave me back full wireless network per the icon and control panel but I still can't get the Internet. Just the' page cannot be displayed' message It is prob something stupid I have done but I would really appreciate any help available

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

This Trojan dropper is a nasty one, and can affect all software on the computer.

I suggest that you take a look at this and then download and run the Microsoft malicious software removal tool. You'll find a link to it at the bottom of the page in my link.

Like this post
sjt0506

Likes # 0

Thanks so much for this answer but I wonder if you could help me further please? This Trojan has taken away my Internet access and therefore I am unable to download the malicious software removal tool. It also won't let me turn on windows firewall. As you can probably tell I'm quite a philistine with computers !! Cheers Sam

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You will need to download it with a different machine and save it to a memory stick. You can then run it from there on the affected one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would untick the resolved tick button as this isn't resolved. What security software do you run? I would start in safe mode (no internet connection) and run your security programs then. See what they find and quarantine. Reboot.

Sounds as a proxy server is trying to be used. In Internet Explorer click on tools, Internet Options, Connections, Lan settings, disable the proxy server and just tick Automatically detect settings.

To boot Vista to safe mode tap F8 (sometimes F5) continuously on boot up. In the Advancer boot screen select safe mode (no internet connection). After it installs all the files you can log in. Don't worry about the different way the desktop looks as that is normal in safe mode.

Like this post  
sjt0506

Likes # 0

Thanks for this rdave13 ! Firstly how do I untick the tick it doesn't change when i tap it - told you i was a computer clutz! Also I checked for a proxy server I safe mode and there isn't 't one. However you have shown me how to get into safe mode and I am now doing a system restore - here's hoping that works. The only security software I have been running are windows defender and windows firewall. Obviously not enough. Many thanks for your help. Believe it or not I am enjoying the challenge.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It used to be that you could just click on it again and it would turn grey.

After the restore I would download a free AV, I use Avast free. Would also download Malwarebytes, SAS and spywareblaster. Update all and run scans. With malwarebytes you have the option of running a free trial for the pro version.

Avast free

Malwarebytes free link

Free SAS link

Spywareblaster. This is a blocker. Don't select auto update but update manually.

As with any free downloads remember to untick offered toolbars etc when installing. I think Avast offers Google toolbar.

I'm only suggesting these programs as It's a list of what I use. Others might have different favourites.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes