We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System restore not working error 0x81000203

nomis5

Likes # 0

I've tried online advice without success .Can anyone suggest Registry Repair software I can download that works.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried to run it in safe mode sometimes your security programs stop you from running it.

keep tapping F8 as the computer starts to get into safe mode.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Google an error number and every registry cleaner result (and there will be many) will claim, but not guarantee it can fix this kind of problem, it's how they make their money.

Get advice from the people who created Windows rather than looking for "Registry fixers";

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-restore-error-code-0x81000203/8d051ee4-1bd3-4ead-8d6e-7c1150bdaedc

Like this post
nomis5

Likes # 0

Many thanks to Jock1e & Jaywoo for tips. I already tried safe mode but found it frozen so will now go with Jaywoo's suggestion.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Safe mode frozen it sometimes takes a minute or two to load but if frozen your problem might be from a Virus so maybe download Malwarebytes free and give that a run to see what it finds.

It will offer you the Pro version for a fortnight run that.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Like this post
nomis5

Likes # 0

My thanks to Jock1e. I have downloaded malawarebytes.org which found several errors but safe mode still remains frozen.Seems the laptop's won so I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There is this program whis is supposed to be able to re-enable system restore.

Click here

Worth a try and may save you from spending money to get it fixed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or have a read at this.

You need to enable the services for system restore, to do that follow the steps provided below.

a. Click on Start button, now type in services.msc in the search programs and files and hit enter. b. Now you need to check for the “volume shadow copy” service present in the services windows. c. After selecting the “volume shadow copy” service you need to right click on the service and select properties and make the startup type as automatic and start the service. d. Click ok, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Do you have any data on the laptop that you need?You could do a restore to factory settings which will put your laptop back to the condition it came in out of the box? If you do have data(music,photos etc)that you need back them up to an external drive first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......