We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Errors with Windows 7 install and corrupt memory (ram)?

the_tobzster

Likes # 0

Hi guys, was wondering if you could help me out with something.

I recently bought a new custom build PC for gaming and video editing, I bought it without windows 7 as I already had a copy. I previously had a lot of trouble installing windows on it (took about 6 attempts due to errors), errors such as 'windows could not install - during expanding windows files'.

Anyway I finally installed windows and I had a huge issue with BSODs and I couldn't even open the windows update facility, even touching it would cause serious lag and even blue screen on my computer. I then contacted the original seller and they told me to check for corrupt ram through memtest86. Sure enough errors where found and I have sent back the ram for replacement.

What I was wondering is, should I do a clean reinstall of windows 7 when I receive the new ram back. As I am sure the windows 7 install is corrupted in some way (possibly due to the faulty ram?). I am scared I will still receive a lot of issues when I get my new ram back!

Thanks for any help, really appreciate it!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Yes you will need to do a clean reinstall when you get the new ram.

If ever you are having problems installing your operating system then you can be quite certain it is a hardware issue and you are wasting your time continuing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad