We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop shortcuts changing appearance in windows 8

rellis1007

Likes # 0

I recently bought a new laptop with windows 8. Rather annoyingly when I add shortcuts on the desktop to my favourite web sites they change their appearance from the company logo provided by that web site to a picture of a globe for all web site shortcuts so that they all look the same.

I know I can change this appearance from the library of logos provided but how can I stop this change happening in the first place and retain the company logo please?

It seems sometimes that windows 8 gets too cleaver for its own good.

Thank you

Richard Ellis

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Windows 8 isn't clever. It's an OS. In IE select the tab, which has an icon, and select to favourites. Or if you've chosen to show the favourites bar select the tab and click on the star with the right facing green arrow. From the list from favourites or the favourites bar drag and drop to the desktop. If the page has the IE globe as an icon, such as this site, then it won't work.

Like this post
rellis1007

Likes # 0

Thank you rdave13. I've managed to change half of the icons this way. Much better.

Richard Ellis

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

rellis1007 , thank for the feedback, even though you only managed half of them. Try doing it with another browser?

Like this post
rellis1007

Likes # 0

will do, thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad