We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows defender is turned off on my new laptop and I can't turn it on.

greyhoundgirl

Likes # 0

My laptop had Macafee installed for a trial period and that ran out today. I have tried to turn on Windows defender but everything I click on brings up a pop up message stating that Defender has been turned off. It doesn't have information about turning it on again nor can I click on anything. I have tried various ways of getting to defender ( action centre, settings, etc)but I always come back to this message. I would be grateful for ANY help.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Uninstall Mcaffee entirely, download and install Microsoft Security Essentials (free antivirus), back it up with a weekly scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.Make sure you decline the Pro trial that will be offered/ticked when you install Malwarebytes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

To turn on windows defender go to services.Scroll down to windows defender and make sure it is set to Automatic and is running.

You will need to download the removal tool from the McAfee site to remove it completely or it will interfere with your new Anti-Virus program.

Like this post
greyhoundgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your advice. As soon as I removed McAfee Windows Defender jumped into its place automatically and is up and running. So easy when you know how. I will no doubt remember next time. x

Like this post
MWPollard

Likes # 0

Just to to be clear, since jaywoo's post may confuse some - Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8, preinstalled as part of Windows 8 and using new name.

But Defender won't enable if a third-party antivirus is installed, unless the third-party antivirus is also significantly out of date. After the existing AV is 15 days out of date, for example, if the trial is expired, Windows will offer to enable Defender, along with other options, such as renewing your existing AV. But you always want to remove the current AV first - two AVs, even if one isn't working correctly - can keep either from working correctly.

Like this post
kr1ska7a

Likes # 0

Hello, I have the same problem. I had trial version of Mcafee and it expired. I wanted to turn windows defender on, however I couldn't. I uninstalled mcafee manually and with mcafee removal tool. I still can't turn on windows defender and i don't have any other anti malware program so I don't see where the problem is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'