We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 8 Refresh killed my email

highside

Likes # 0

It may be my fault for using it but many experts & the program itself said that Refresh in Win 8 would not remove personal files. It removed many of my programs which I have now reinstalled but it also removed Windows Live Essentials and destroyed my emails dating back a very long time including all my contacts. Feel very angry about this as the descriptions of Refresh give the impression that its a very non aggressive program. Tried a recovery freebie but it reported that most of my stuff is unrecoverable.About three of 800 can be read. Any comment please? Win 8 64 bit Win Live Mail pop3

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

ps it also takes System Restore back to square one with no restore points except the new one it creates at the time it operates.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As far as I know it is like restoring your computer back to factory settings and you would loose programs.

You can still sign into Windows Live mail and all your e-mails should still be on there.

Then I suppose it is back to installing Windows Live essentials and adding your e-mail addresses again.

Windows">http://mail.live.com/default.aspx&lc=2057&id=64855&mkt=en-gb&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1">Windows live mail sign in

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

sign">http://mail.live.com/default.aspx&lc=2057&id=64855&mkt=en-gb&cbcxt=mai&snsc=1">sign in

Sometimes it will not open just google for Windows Live Mail Sign in.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks for replying, it is the least aggressive of the three options and it does say some programs will be removed but no files etc. So I spent a whole day reinstalling everything. I was just taken aback that it destroyed years of email activity. Everything else was backed up but this took me by surprise.

I did reinstall WLE and I can sign in with my original password and account but there are no emails or contacts just like starting from new.

Thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

highside

Usually all of the e-mails you had would be saved so not sure what happened there.

I did a restore to factory setting on my other computer about 3 weeks ago and all of my e-mails were intact when connecting directly to Windows mail.

All my Virginmedia Mail was also intact but that was on a W/7 computer.

I am sure that you will be able to get them back somehow if no reply to your problem in 24 hours close this thread and reopen one in the helproom about lost e-mails and how to retrieve them.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Will do thanks for your help. I am sure I have reinstalled WLE before with no bother.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can download everything or just choose mail.

Windows live essentials

If you do not get your E-mails back when add your e-mail accounts you have to go directly to Microsoft outlook or Hotmail add your username and password and if you cannot retrieve your e-mails just open another post on the helproom asking for advice.

Best of luck hope that you can retrieve them all again.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks for the Nudge, I posted as you suggested and was given the answer by "Secret-Squirrel". Searched PC for .eml and the result was 3000 emails in HEX number form and they opened as normal emails when dragged to a WLM folder. Closed & thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

highside

Glad that you got it fixed I knew there was a way of doing it but did not know how.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote