We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Host Process (Rundll32) has stopped working

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

I Get this message occasionally, but what does it mean? The 'Problem Signature' starts with the Event Name - APPCRASH

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's possibly an Unsigned Driver (not digitally signed), have a look in "Event Viewer" for clues to which faulting module .dll it is. And then update the driver for the hardware, could be your Video card driver.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic, i'd not heard of the Event Viewer before, however I didn't see anything that suggested a driver update. I had the same box appear this morning too. I just clicked the 'x' and it went away. I have had a couple of reminders over the last few weeks that AMD want to update my graphics card, but as it's working fine, i'm reluctant to do it. Not had that reminder for a while though.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"reminders over the last few weeks that AMD want to update my graphics card"

how strange, I have never heard of that type of reminder. Unless - Are you running some sort of program that you have selected for it to be giving you this sort of reminder?

I am very suspicious of this, it sounds like a nasty malware/spyware is trying to get in.

I suggest you go directly to your manufacturers website for your graphics card and find the latest driver and see if that is the one you already have installed.

Do not click on any popups on your pc or links in an email referring to this reminder.

What antivirus and anti malware programs have you got installed?

I suggest you install the free SpywareBlaster (not the version that has Autoupdate - you have to pay for) that will stop most all spyware/malware progs from installing if they try to, and also scan your pc with free Malwarebytes

Both of those programs are used by many here on pca and neither will interfere with your existing anti virus and security programs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I also still feel it is an unsigned .dll when you get the Problem Event Name: APPCRASH can you look at the details next time and post them on here.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, AMD will auto detect GPU drivers if program installed, see here.

Could be a program removed incorrectly.tony-guitar , try running Ccleaner and see if it removes the warning.

How to use Ccleaner.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, I did say in my post "Are you running some sort of program that you have selected for it to be giving you this sort of reminder?"

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi guys, thank you for your help. I will sort the malware/spyware apps you suggest. My 'C' drive is a Kingston SSD so i'm reluctant to use something like Ccleaner. I've not had an update request from AMD for maybe 3 or 4 weeks now and I've always declined the update. I use Avast Free antivirus. When I looked at the Event Viewer, there were no details listed! I will install the apps you suggest and post anything that's flagged up. - Tony

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yup, and you got no answer. I tried to help in that these GPU wizzos do it automatically, if Nvidia or the other rubbish, ahem, I meant inferior cards, can't supply the hardware without updating the software properly then, to my way of thinking, they aren't worth supporting as customers.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Last post I posted meant for lotvic.

tony-guitar, Why do you decline the updater offered by AMD? ..daft in my humble opinion even if inferior to Nvidia.... joke ?

Why are you reluctant to use Ccleaner on an SSD?

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Sorry, just seen the last posting, but just to say that I've not knowingly installed anything. I try to keep minimal, store photos, music etc. I'm not confident enough to go 'digging'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow