We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I open MS Works in Windows 8

itnein

Likes # 0

Hi, My grandson is trying to persuade me to buy a new laptop as my existing desktop pc is nine years old and only has 768MB of RAM and uses Windows XP. All the new laptops seem to have Windows 8. I have a number of spreadsheets and documents in MS Works 7 and Office 2002. Can I up load these original cd programs and transfer these files to the new laptop? Or, if I install the new Office package, will my existing files open in the new package. I really do not want to lose all my existing files and spreadsheets that I have been using for the last nine years on my desktop pc.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You will have trouble with Works -there are lots of incompatibilities between versions and with anything else.run the windows 8 compatibility program and see if it lists your programs.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Free LibreOffice supports Microsoft Office and Works files. Install that instead.

http://www.libreoffice.org/default/

Like this post
itnein

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the info. It appears that MSWorks 7 or MS Office XP is not compatible with Windows 8 from your compatibility link. I am intrigued, however, by LibreOffice. I have not heard of this before but if it will open my MSWorks 7 spreadsheets and MS Office XP Professional documents it sounds absolutely ideal. Does it have a good reputation for reliability?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes