We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System backup - Windows 8 et al

junef

Likes # 0

Although I back up my data and picture files regularly to an external hard drive, I have been told I should do a system backup. If so, I presume they mean the Windows 8 system, as I did not get any back up disks with my new laptop (Sony VAIO)OR do I back up the whole system? Can you tell me whether I should be doing this - which files and where they are located in File Explorer - How do I find out what size memory stick I will need?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Control panel and click on recovery.

Like this post
junef

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e, but you are obviously better clued up than me. Presumably I save this externally, else there is little point in doing it. What will this 'recovery' action save? Will it save Windows and all my apps? Will I be able to specify destination drive/medium, and what sort of memory storage do I need - is a memory stick OK? I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but what size memory stick do I need to get - I have Windows 8 Microsoft Office, Photoshop, but little else.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

junef

Not got a clue as to what it saves,probably a repair CD if it will not boot at any time.

I downloaded mine to a DVD.It is recommended that you do it so I downloaded it just in case.

No doubt someone will be able to give you the advice that is downloaded just a matter of waiting.

I also downloaded a program that lets you start in safe mode which is a must if you have problems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this Video tutorial. As you say backing up to another drive is best.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's just an image needed then control panel, Windows 7 file recovery, and on the left select Create System Image.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers