We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Oem partition shrinks after attempted Ubuntu installation

frost3003

Likes # 0

Hi guys, My name is Abdul.I recently got the hp envy dv7 and wanted to install Ubuntu on it. I was expecting a straightforward installation with Wubi. After installation it appeared in the os selection menu all right but Wouldn't boot. So I checked from the Ubuntu website and realised I had to do it differently with windows 8. I disabled some features, changed some bios settings and created a live USB as instructed.during the installation I was asked how I wanted to install it and I chose "something else", created some partitions and started the procedure. A window appeared telling me the installation was complete, but when I restarted the machine the boot menu didn't appear and windows showed that windows 8 was the only os. So I tried the installation again and this time I chose to install it alongside windows 8. Now this is where I really messed up. It automatically chose a partition, which happened to be the recovery partition and created a partition out of the 3gb I had left in it. The installation failed again because of low space. When I checked my windows the recovery now had 100kb free space and the 3gb was unallocated. I had to specify the things that led to my situation so I could get accurate answers. My question now is, how do I get the 3gb free space back to my recovery?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

if you cannot resize the recovery partition within windows 8, try easus partition master free instead. It should show all partitions and has more features that the default windows partitioning tool.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback