We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where has my Internet Explorer icon gone

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

My pc is under a year old, and for most of that time there have been 2 IE icons on the task bar, one for the 32bit and one for 64bit. I don't remember how I came to have both, however, the other night when shutting down, the usual box appears telling me an update is being installed prior to shutdown. The next day, one of the icons was replaced by a white blank oblong shape. Clicking it, a box appeared informing me that the program has been deleted or removed. The following day, the white box has disappeared. I still have the remaining icon and IE works fine, but I have 3 questions, 1) What happened? 2) How do I check which version of IE I've been left with?(I suspect it's the 32bit) and 3) If it's the 64bit that's gone, how do I get it back. Thanks for any help

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ If it's the 64bit that's gone, how do I get it back. ]

All programs.Scroll up to I/E 64Bit and right click it and select pin to Taskbar.

Most folk use the 32 bit version so maybe stick to that.

If you select help on the toolbar.Then click on about Internet explorer it should tell which version it is.

Now I am using W/8 just now so trying to use my memory on how you do things on W/7 so I may not be 100% accurate.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Windows update probably updated your computer from Internet Explorer 9 to Internet Explorer 10 so the original link no longer worked.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. I/E 64bit isn't listed in All Programs (although I remember it used to be) so I guess it must be the 32bit. As for v9 or 10, i'll look at the Help menu for clues.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

I've just checked and it is indeed I/E 10

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

32 bit or 64 bit??

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

You still have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE10. This explains all:

IE10 on Windows 7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow