We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upgrading from XP pro to windows 8 pro

Carryduff

Likes # 0

I recently bought windows 8 pro for my laptop and as the box also contained a 32 bit version I thought it would be a good idea to up grade my desktop as well. When the disk boots up I get the normal wizard where it asks for the product key etc which is accepted but then message comes up to say that it can't go ahead as something has happened when it tries to check if system is suitable and to try setup again. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can only install either the 32 or 64 bit once. You only get one licence key so if you have used the key on the laptop you can't install it on the desktop without uninstalling it from the laptop first.

Like this post
Carryduff

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave 13 did'nt know that

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Just to be very clear - you must choose either the 32bit or the 64bit version. You can't install both versions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features