We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with Old Windows File.

tlkbs

Likes # 0

I bought a new 500GB hard drive. Start-up with CD, Windows vista ultimate, then install Windows 8 pro Upgrade. I notice that under the C/drive, a file: “old Windows” I have tried to delete it, but it won’t. I have done “Dxdiag” and this is it:

System Information

Time of this report: 5/11/2013, 22:16:15 Machine name: FLERRIE Operating System: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 32-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130306-1502) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: System manufacturer System Model: System Product Name BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/27/11 10:03:01 Ver: 08.00.14 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 3328MB RAM Page File: 1188MB used, 5338MB available Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent) System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Manufacturer: NVIDIA Chip type: GeForce GTX 650 DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC Device Type: Full Device
Display Memory: 3402 MB Dedicated Memory: 1994 MB Shared Memory: 1407 MB Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz) Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model: ASUS VW192Tÿÿ Monitor Id: ACI19A2 Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.606Hz)

What did I do wrong and how can I get rid of the “Old Windows file? Thanks, Berna.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Try using the disc cleanup utility. Mouse pointer to bottom left, right click the start icon, select 'run'. Type or copy and paste cleanmgr in the open field. Click ok. In the pane that opens select your drive, usually (C:). Select ok. It will show all the files to be cleaned. Select ok after you've browsed the files list. Most probably Windows Old file won't show the first time. Run cleanmgr again and this time windows old should show so tick the box. Select ok. As it's a fresh update you won't need to check the old folder for documents, etc, before removing.

Like this post
tlkbs

Likes # 0

Thanks so much, rdavel13. Because I have Windows 8, this is what I did. On the right hand side, click “search” and type in “cleanmgr” then click in the icon of cleanmgr.
Then “Disk Clean-up for Drive C” opens. The first time you click where you see any “bytes’ available, But the second time, there is a “Previous Windows Installation’ – click there and click “OK” AND my “Old Windows File” is GONE. Thanks you again for helping me. Berna

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted. Different ways to get to the cleanup utility. I just used the desktop to get to it rather than the start page. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers