We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

i cant get the firewall to work

darlenelee1980

Likes # 0

when I try to down load new apps or updates it says the firewall is off. I cant turn it on. wht do I do

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have a third party security software that might be switching it off? If not try starting it in services. Mouse pointer bottom left, right click the start icon, select 'run' type services.msc, ok, then scroll down to Windows Firewall. Double click, select start and select auto, press apply and ok.

Like this post
darlenelee1980

Likes # 0

ok. thank you . I will try that

Like this post
darlenelee1980

Likes # 0

rdave13...............I do not see windows firewall when I scroll down. does that mean there isn't one now? because its listed in the control panel

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First thing to do if the laptop/PC is new is to create your factory restore discs. You should find out how to do this as there should be a manufacturers manager app in the all app section in Start. In the start page right click a blank space and select 'all apps' at the bottom. This is a precaution in case anything goes wrong as Win 8 PCs don't come with a windows key label.

Have you used a security trial software and removed it using their particular removal tool? What security do you use now as third party security software usually stops Windows' firewall although it doesn't remove it in services. Have you been infected and removed the malware?

Two things to try,

Run the system file checker about three times. Pointer to bottom left, right click the start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin). Type or copy and paste sfc/scannow and press enter. It will start to verify your system files.

If that fails to repair then try a system restore, Using Win 8 restore. It could take some time to restore so be patient.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer