We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

File name too long to copy

KirstyK

Likes # 0

I am trying to copy all my folders and files from my memory stick onto my PC. I do it by right click, copy and paste. Some folders will not copy, saying 'file name too long'. Is there a way I can back up my usb memory stick another way so ALL files and folders get transferred to PC?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What is it Formatted as?

Probably FAT32 ~ Re-Format as NTFS.

That will allow you a longer File Name

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You could try creating a Folder with the same name in the PC and then copy the contents (i.e. the files) within the folder from the memory stick to the PC.

Like this post
KirstyK

Likes # 0

Thank you; looked at different long path tools - can anyone recommend a particular one that would be good to help me copy all my memory stick files and folders to PC or is it just called 'Long Path Tool'?

Like this post
Fruitbat 2

Likes # 0

Will not copy from mem stick to PC

This sounds as if the memstick is formatted as NTFS but the PC is only FAT32.

You can convert and drive from FAT32 to NTFS (not the other way round) without losing data

If you are using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS: Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.' Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

in case anyone wonders about the ref to 'long path tool', there was a Spam advert post for a prog to buy and FE has deleted the spam posts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes