We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is needed for Windows 8?

twwtww

Likes # 0

I am thinking about upgrading my PC to a new one. In order to gain the full experience of Windows 8, do I to buy an all-in-one, monitors that are touch compatible or just a new PC (will my old monitors work)? I currently use Windows 7 with dual monitors, do I need to scrap them and replace them to utilize Windows 8? Do I buy an all-in-one and hook up another monitor for dual capabilities (does that have to be touch enabled - do all-in-ones even offer a hookup for another monitor)?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

You do not need to buy an All-in-One PC with a touch screen to experience Windows 8, but touch screens do make Windows 8 easier to use. You can use your old monitors with a new PC that has Windows 8 installed, just make sure that the new PC has outputs for two monitors. Windows 8 can be used with a mouse and keyboard as many users here will testify. I have no experience with All-in-One computers but a Google check would tell you if there are any models with the facility to add another monitor.

My personal feelings are that I like Windows 8 on my regular PC and monitor using a keyboard and mouse. It is fast to load and with a scroll mouse for vertical and horizontal scrolling I find it easy to use. I am not sure if I would like a touch screen with a desktop PC as I like to sit back in my chair and read the screen while using my keyboard and mouse. The idea of having to lean forward to reach the screen does not appeal to me. That said I would quite like a tablet with Windows 8.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I can't for the life of me see how one would, realistically, use a touch screen on a desktop PC. Surely one's arm would be up and down all over the place. It would be slow, imprecise and make your arm ache.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Batch

"I can't for the life of me see how one would, realistically, use a touch screen on a desktop PC."

I agree, for me it smacks of 'because it's there'. A mouse is fast, precise, easy to use, and doesn't leave smeary fingerprints all over the screen. I have no intention of using touch screens on anything other than my iPad and my phone.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forum Editor , apologies to twwtww for deviating a bit from the thread, I've bought a tablet and finding it a bit redundant. Smart-phone, desktop and laptop, and I find the Nexsus 7, a waste of money really. I don't know about the iPad but apart from the screen size what does it do better than a smart-phone?

My prediction for the future is that tablets will fade out, once people realise that they're only a tad bigger than smartphones but not as transportable or as handy to use.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

FE :

To be quite honest, I would go even further and say that even for a laptop / netbook a mouse is preferable to a touch screen, except where one is using the laptop / netbook in a situation where a mouse is just not practical (e.g. on one's lap).

rdave ,

I disagree.

In spite of the fact that I have a desktop PC, 2 laptops and a 10" netbook, I find my Nexus 7 very useful and usable.

The screen is big enough (just) to read a reasonable screen of info (I read The Times on it, which is how I came to get the Nexus 7 as it was a well briced bunble). I also travel overseas a fair bit and find the Nexus a good proposition for this. It is smaller and lighter than the netbook. It has good application support. I can readily read and compose emails (a Smartphone is just toooo small).

The only thing I would say is that a stylus pen is a must. Fingers just don't give sufficient granularity!

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Oops - finger problems there (and that's using a full sized keyboard.

well briced bunble s/b well priced bundle

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Batch, the trouble with the Nexsus is that in needs wi-fi. A chap at work has a Samsung phone, the screen and phone is bigger than usual, and it has 3G. Still smaller than a tablet but watching this man using it made my head spin. Just using thumbs he can write docs, browse etc in no time.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

rdave:

You can get a Nexus that is 3G enabled, but mine isn't. But that's fine - to me it is a small computer, not a phone and there are plenty of wi-fi spots around these days (more often than not where I'm staying when away from home).

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I installed windows 8 last week. I was finding it awkward to use at first, but that was because I chose to put it on the laptop, and I was only using its touchpad at first. It would auto-switch to the desktop when I moved my finger and tried to get back to the start screen, and vice versa. I eventually changed to a mouse with a scroll wheel, and I have to say 8 is now very easy to use. The only thing that I had to work out was in closing apps and switching to the desktop, but aside from that, its fine. I dont think a touchscreen is necessary at all for a laptop or desktop with 8, or would be any faster. 8 would work with a touchscreen but I second thats only if its on your lap. As long as that mouse has that vital scroll wheel for the start screen you are good to go. I eventually replaced 7 on the desktop with 8 and wouldnt switch back. I believe windows 8 has more capabilities using multiple monitors than 7, and monitors do not have to be touchscreen enabled at all. Since 8 is based on the 7 platform, you should not have any issues in theory. Searching on youtube for dual or 'multiple monitors windows 8' should give some good examples of how to set it all up, and capabilities.

Theres always the option of installing 'classic shell' for anyone that dislikes the start screen, but personally I was surprised that 8s tiled interface didnt play as large a part in 8 as i thought it would, despite it being the main reason for many not wanting to switch from 7. 8s apps on the start screen can easily be compared to vista and windows 7s gadgets, and are purely optional. I use some apps-mainly radio and yahoo mail, and for custom made shortcuts. The only thing I dont like about the start screen is that it isnt customisable enough in my opinion, visually or otherwise-a long list of installed programs from the 'all apps' menu could be easier to browse through, but I think future editions of windows should help there. Aside from that, it feels like im still using 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do