We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Force pop-up dialog boxes to be always on top?

plusman

Likes # 0

I am using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

In previous versions of windows, dialog boxes used to pop-up as required on top of other screens to indicate if there were problems or if action was needed (e.g. if you were copying a file from one location to another and if that file already existed there, you were asked what you wanted to do).

However when at the desktop level of Windows 8, dialog boxes remain in the background and due to grouping of the same icons together in the taskbar it is often difficult to see if a dialog box has popped up and requires action.

For example: if I am copying a file from one location to another and I have a Windows Explorer window open covering the whole desktop screen, apart from the taskbar at the bottom. If the file already exists, a dialog box opens but it is hidden behind the Explorer screen - the only indication is that another "file" icon opens in the taskbar, but hidden behind the existing explorer file icon so it is difficult to see - so that you are often unaware of the issue and are assuming that the transfer is going ahead, unaware that your intervention is needed.

Is there any way to get dialog or pop-up boxes to always appear on top, so that you are immediately aware of any issues or where action is needed?

Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Usually the icon on your taskbar lights up for this notification. As I "hide" my taskbar then the taskbar pops up to show the highlighted icon.

Not a solution, I know, but works for me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......