We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 8 Autorepair loop problem

marcyano79

Likes # 0

Hi, after updating itself windows restarted only to encounter a problem and start autorepair mode. Sadly autorepair can't fix whatever the problem is and seems to be stuck in and endless loop of restarting, starting autorepair and failing, only to restart and repeat. I don't have any recovery media and Acer will charge me handsomely to get them. If I return the unit under warranty they can't guarantee to keep my data intact, which is worrying as I obviously can't get into windows to back up my recent data.I'm assuming they'll just set it back to factory default settings. Has anyone else had/solved this or similar issue? As much as I want my shiny new laptop fixed I don't want to lose my recent photo catalogue updates. Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will it start in safe mode.hold down the Ctrl button and keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I don't have any recovery media"

That's a problem.

You need to try to get Windows 8 into safe mode, but unfortunately Jock1e's suggestion of pressing the F8 key as the computer tries to start will not work on Windows 8 - it will not allow you access to the same options as in previous Windows versions.

You need to get the recovery media.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If you have your own product key -can you not use a friends disc?

Like this post
marcyano79

Likes # 0

No, I don't even have a product key! Acer don't supply you with anything except the recovery software on the partition, which is fine if you can get to it. So if I stump up the £50 for the recovery software I'll probably be able to recover the system and keep my data? Thanks for the replies btw.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can get a caddy from Amazon for about £4 which you can put your hard drive into and plug it into another computer if you have one.

You may be able to save your recent data that way but will have to leave it to someone else to explain how to do it.

A few to choose from here.

Click Here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this for those that cannot get into safe mode.

Go into an elevated Command prompt and type this in and then press the Enter button on the keyboard.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Computer has to be rebooted for it to take affect.

If you want to remove it just type this into elevated command prompt

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

I have tried it and it does work.

Unfortunately it is no good to you at the moment marcyano79 but maybe when you get your computer working again it may come in handy.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

marcyano79

Do you have to sign in on your computer.If so press Ctrl Alt Del at the same time before you sign in and see if that brings up any other solutions.

If it gets you into Taskmanager it will give you other options. I believe a system refresh might remove anything you have downloaded.

So best seeing if ctrl alt del works first or not.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Next time it reboots, try holding down the SHIFT key after the BIOS splash screen, see if that brings up the screen for Advanced Options (not the Advanced repair options) or try the ALT key. If you do get there, do a system restore.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another suggestion is to ask someone with Windows 8, same bit version, to create a recovery disk/media for you, boot from it and try a system restore.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

Do Not refresh or reset your PC!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer