We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Backup Is Not Incremental

griffon56
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I've set my Win7-64 machine to backup to a USB Hard Drive regularly each week. After the first backup I thought that it would do incremental backups, but it does complete backups each time. How do I change this behaviour, please?

Regards

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AFAIK you can't. It just does full backups each time.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

My 80 year old memory is not what it was, and that wasn't much, but I'm almost sure that I saw somewhere when I was setting up the first backup that later ones would only add those files which were new or which had changed!!

That phrase rings true as something which is standard. What is the use of a backup program which goes thro' all the same old rigmarole for the addition of one extra file. It beggars belief, but I suppose we'll have to put it down to the wonders of MS software writing. OK, so an operating system is a monumental achievement and who am I to belittle the work of mainly gifted people, but surely somebody ought to have asked the question before it was all graven in granite.

Any chance you know of a good backup program I could adopt?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I use Acronis True Image, never had any problems over many years.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Or if you want a freebie, have a look at Paragon - it's free.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your advice, please consider the subject closed now, I'll probably go for the freebie program.

Kind regards

griffon56

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your advice, please consider the subject closed now, I'll probably go for the freebie program.

Kind regards

griffon56

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you think it's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved' (Can also be Unticked by reverse - click on green tick and it will turn grey, etc)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think you're wrong.

W7 Back-up is incremental.

I don't know what you have done with the settings to get it to do a full back-up every time it's scheduled to but the Basic Set-up is intended to only log the changes since the last scheduled back-up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It would seem that there is no clear cut answer one way or t'other.

answers.microsoft.com/windows/forum/windows-7-how-to-perform-an-incremental-back-up

I think I'll stick to Acronis, at least I understand how to use that.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

lotvic

I think I'll stick to Acronis, at least I understand how to use that.

Me too for sure!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger