We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help for having Desktop start & Start Menu in 8 if possible

Audio~~Chip
Resolved

Likes # 0

As above.

Well, now I am lost. I have searched and unable to find the result in the forum to work this out.

Is it possible to be able to Boot into windows 8 Desktop Screen. How to please

Also, is it possible to bring back the or a Start menu to the bottom left like the older windows

Now being cheeky, is it possible to have a Shutdown button on the desktop

Really appreciate any guidance and help with the above.

Cheers

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

In reverse order:

To create a shutdown button... Right click in an empty space on the Desktop, go to New and click on Shortcut.

Type the following text in the location field:- shutdown /s /t 0 and click Next. (The zero after the 't' means the shutdown will be immediate, if you want a short delay just replace it with the number of seconds to wait.)The shortcut name will appear as shutdown.exe. Click Finish.

The shortcut will appear on your desktop. Right click on it, and go to Properties. Now click on 'Change Icon'.

Select the square red icon with the power switch symbol.

Now you can shut down without all the palaver.

is it possible to bring back the or a Start menu to the bottom left like the older windows

Click here

Is it possible to be able to Boot into windows 8 Desktop Screen.

See the link above.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

I've got this Click here Classic Shell on all my Windows 8 Machines, All boot straight into Desktop with Start Button with Menu..

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I to use Classic Shell and find it makes W/8 so much easier to use.

Although it gives you the start all programs and on off buttons back it is not as good as the original Windows one but better than none.

I have not tried the FE's selection so cannot comment on that one but it looks Ok.

Now W/8 is coming up with a big update reported to be next month where they may be bringing the Start menu back again.

If you don't want to wait that long give Classic shell or Fe's selection a try and you will not be disappointed.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

there is no start menu, but w8 can run it here from the task bar saving the use of 3rd party software.

follow the following steps 1. Right click empty section of the taskbar 2. Click toolbars 3. 3.click new toolbar 4. Click empty section of the address bar 5. Type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu 6. Press enter 7. Click “select folder” button lower screen 8. Click toolbar arrows to open

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Now W/8 is coming up with a big update reported to be next month"

The update will not be released next month - it will be available towards the end of the year.

Like this post  
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello Forum Editor & Thank U for the instruction! Yes I stumbled on the info re a major update to put back the Start Menu and things.

I did try the Iobit download but when i came to run it, i got a error straight away as if it was a empty file (might have been my end?)

Also Thank You! to Lazurus The 2nd, I used the Powershell programe and it did both put back the Start Menu & change the boot to the desktop. Excellent little tool !

Also Thank You to Jock1e & SunnyStaines they are all valuable & handy to know.

Cheers!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback