We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re-install Win 7 after crash

Likes # 0

I have a Win 7 64bit system which ahs crashed and was very difficult to recover and is still unstable, although I had recently run backup, created a rescue disk and a restore point. Is it possible to fit a new hard drive, disconnect the ex. drive and install Windows on the new drive, and since I would have to re-install all the programs and peripherals which would take quite some time, would I in the meantime be able to disconnect the new drive and connect the ex. drive to use the computer? An help will be greatly appreciated.

Del

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes you can do exactly what you describe. Just have one of the harddrives connected at any one time.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am presuming you have the W7 install DVD and the Retail product key

If you have W7 oem factory installed and pre-activated (sticker on pc with another product key - that will not be the key used for the factory install), post back with the full details of your pc. There may be other choices to make. For instance, there will be a program on your pc that will allow you to burn a full set of W7 DVD's that can be used for install on your new harddrive.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the advice. I have the original Win 7 disk, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks once again.

Del

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow