We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wifi problem

Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi. I have just upgraded a Dell laptop with Vista to Windows 7, befor with vista the wifi worked it picked up my network, now with Win 7 it does not list my network, it sees others around me but not mine??. Some advice please Regards

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Is your WiFi router set to broadcast its SSID. If not it will not be seen.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Well yes, as I said above all worked fine until I upgraded to win7 now I cannot see my network.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Can the network be seen using another computer. It is just possible that your router went faulty around the same time, so eliminate the simple things first.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Go to device manager and update network adapter driver then go to

start type in cmd on the black prompt type

sfc /scannow (there is a space between the c and /) press enter

the cmd again and type

CHKDSK

press enter

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 0

Hi Blubottle

I Would agreed with Alanrwood , Could be a problem with the router- As your PC is able to detect other Wireless networks . As advised ,check if a different PC is able to detect your network . You could also perform a power cycle on the router - Can help resolve connection issues .

http://www.labnol.org/tech/power-cycle-modem-router/23412/

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Thanks one and all for your advice, as I described above all worked ok until I upgraded to win 7, I have two other computers, the desktop pc ethernet wired that's ok and my I pad and that works ok, I use a netgear wireless router which I have re-booted by unpluging from the supply for 10 mins. Difarn. Thanks I will try your suggestion.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Difarm. Tried your suggestion. It reported that " access denied as you do not have sufficient privilages, you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode"

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 0

Hi Blubottle

I assume you are using Vista / Windows 7. Click Start > Type " CMD " under Search Programs & Files > Right Click on CMD ( Under Programs )& Click run as administrator.Follow the rest of the steps as suggested by Difarm.

Regards

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody, I finally sorted it buy changing the router channel from 13 to 6 , the confusing thing was that when this laptop was running Vista it picked up the wifi network just fine but when it was changed to win 7 it would not...

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad to hear it - would have been my next suggestion (honest). Thanks for letting us know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features