We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Admin password problem

Blubottle

Likes # 0

I have just inherited a dell laptop from a friend that is in a mess, I have been prompted to run chkdsk to check the Hdd for errors, the problem is to,run this I need administrator pass word to be able to do this, I do not know what it is the previous owner has not got a clue what I am talking about. How can I get around this. Regards

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

Try starting in safe mode and see if it will it will let you start it from there.

Click on to the computer administrator in safe mode if it lets you.

Like this post
ionamartin123

Likes # 0

Try to contact the previous owner and get the password, in case if it is not possible, reach dell support and ask them if reset to factory settings will work. I believe it will, just confirm it with dell.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I can tell you savims post still works on XP as I managed to get started using the Computer administrator account in safe mode today.

Not sure about Vista though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more