We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you get rid of Windows 7 libraries

123mike123

Likes # 0

The article on the usefulness of libraries is all very well, but what about when you just want to get rid of libraries all together. How do you do it?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There's a registry hack you can use if you don't like/want Libraries, I posted link to it in another thread (3rd response) http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7-help/4227075/libraries--can-i-exclude-files-and-folders/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Please ensure you read the full comments on both before you decide to use a Registry Hack, always make sure you have a backup and can undo any changes.

Disclaimer, use at your own risk.

Like this post
123mike123

Likes # 0

Thanks very much. Very helpful.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There's a good article here from Leo's Answers worth reading enter link description here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

northumbria61, that's an excellent article, explaining Libraries and how they work. Thanks. I'll copy your post over to wee eddies thread, probably useful for him too.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

lotvic - it is one of those things I have thought about for a long time but have never got around to it - maybe one day. I really don't know why MS introduced Libraries. As far as I can see they only duplicate things and are a bit of a nuisance.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Just a comment, but when I first had this Win 7 computer I deleted stuff in a Library and found that I had also deleted it from the HDD. The Libraries don't seem to duplicate things they just provide another path to the same data and clutter things up.

It's the MS nanny attitude of trying to guide how we use our machines, when it would have been much better just to tell us what was there, and leave us to use it how we see fit. On the same kind of line it might have been so much better had MS not made its default setting always to share and offer access to outside influences. We might have had more secure computers from day 1.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

old5chool , you've hit the nail on the head with your comment "Lazarus the 2nd, are you spamming the forums with that site?" It isn't LTS it's a spammer taking his identity. I think. Will notify FE (BOSS). Well spotted old5chool.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Gordon Bennet we all missed the obvious again.

Lazarus the 2nd spammer.

Lazarus The 2nd, original.

What to do about upper and lower case then?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As for getting rid of the libraries then I'd hold on a bit until you start playing with them if you have more than one harddrive/ partition. They're a godsend if you find out how to add or remove just what you need on hand at any time. Remember that libraries can also delete original files if you're not careful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......