We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toughie - Administrator disabled & no standard way to change

ikbol

Likes # 0

A v. difficult problem of how to re-enable Administrator account.

First after bootup I have minor difficulties logging in - get a green screen with

"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer.."

After clicking on boxes, I get a choice between "Guest" and "Other User" - and then can enter and get into "Mike/ no password" account and open the Win 7 desktop.

But then the Administrator account is disabled - so I cannot use any computer-altering prog.

I get "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes etc?" with the YES option blanked out! - and no way to type in the Administrator password.

I have tried standard recommendations - and none work:

• from Command - "net users Administratot /active:yes" - I get "System error 5 has occurred... Access is denied"

*lusurmngr.msc - won't allow me to alter accounts

*netplwiz won't run - same permission box blanked out

*User Accounts Control panel - won't work

*SAFE MODE - same login?Administrator problems - and no possibility of running computer-altering antivirus problems like Rkill

I scanned with AVG and Malware Bytes which found no problems apart from one months old patch prog. now removed.

Now what?! How do I reenable Administrator? Thx for any help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Or easy to follow instructions here enter link description here

Like this post
ikbol

Likes # 0

Thx for fast response - but already done it.

Command - Run as Admin - gives me the same permission box for altering the computer with the Yes blanked out

And I similarly tried typing in the "net users.." command direct - with results described above.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If no password recovery disc was burnt I am reluctant to help for the simple reason that you are new to the forums.

If you've backed up all your docs.,music., etc then why not restore to factory settings and start again.

I can't understand what has happened for the hidden Admin account to be messed up. Either one of these wonderful 'optimising' programs has knackered things up, or it's a try to hacking an account.

Forgive my suspicious nature but it's how I was built.. :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try starting in safe mode and see if you can open the computer administrator account.

If so you should be able to make your account as administrator as well.

Well you could do that using XP not sure about W/7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...