We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 64-bit installation fails

b0pper

Likes # 0

PC is Mesh Elite Quad Express-PCA currently with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor states that PC OK for Windows 7 64-bit, BUT a Custom Installation will be required. Capability also confirmed via Control Panel\Performance Information& Tools\System.

I've purchased Windows 7 Home Premium (Full version). Attempting to launch the 64-bit installation (setup.exe) simply displays a message to the effect that "this file is not compatible with the version of Windows installed on your PC". Looks as though the 32-bit version would install OK.

Impossible to reach either Microsoft or Mesh for support. What is wrong, and what do I need to do to achieve successful installation of W7 64-bit? Please provide full details.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

b0pper, Have you tried a pair of bog-standard stereo speakers.

Found on another forum, That installing the latest Realtek High Definition Audio driver works (touch wood and whistle), Get it from this Click here

info,

Title: Realtek High Definition Audio 2.71 Vista 64 Filename: 64bitVistaWin7Win8R271.exe File size: 78.10MB (81,891,861 bytes) Requirements: Windows Vista64 / Windows7 64 / Windows8 64 Languages: en-US License: Freeware Date added: April 9, 2013

Click the blue

Download Latest Version

above the 78.10MB

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Found out from this Click here Under Technical Specs, that your motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI.

From this Click here Under Specifications, Audio is Realtek ALC883 6 -Channel CODEC.

Driver is in this Click here, Click OS: select Windows 7 64 bit, Click Audio (1), and download your Motherboard Audio driver, it's the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.5904 for Windows Vista 32bit/Vista 64bit/7 32bit/7 64bit, click the Global (Not Global DLM or P2P), Unzip RealtekAudioV51005904_V6015904.zip, and run AsusSetup.exe, see if that works, if not, then you might need to run the Creative setup again.

Something else to try is this Click here.

If that don't work, come back again and we'll try something else..

David.

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

Thanks, Lazarus. Both drivers now installed, but still no sound. The YouTube video appears (couldn't hear anything!!) to be a long-winded way of saying "download drivers for Multimedia Audio Controller, i.e. RealTek? So no joy there. It also looked like it was a different operating system from W7: the sound icons in the Notification area were not the same as mine. I only see the Speaker icon with the text SPDIF Out: 100%.

I still don't understand why I see no reference to my speakers themselves. I'm fairly sure that in Vista they were named somewhere, and offered a facility to test sound from each speaker. Unfamiliar with W7, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. How does W7 actually "know" that speakers are attached? Via the jacks, or via the sound card drivers?

Any further suggestions for how to get sound from my system would be much appreciated!

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

Msg to Forum Editor:

To summarise my problem, I have now successfully installed W7 64-bit Home Premium. All is well except that my Creative Inspire T6100 5.1 speakers fail to show on Control Panel\Sound\Playback, and do not produce sound, e.g. via IPlayer. Thanks to advice from Lazarus I have installed latest drivers for my X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card, and also for the Multimedia Audio Controller (which I take to be RealTek)as appropriate for my motherboard P5N-E SLI from AsusTek Computer Inc. Sadly, installation of both drivers has left my situation unchanged: still can't "see" the speakers, and still no sound from them.

Creative appear to claim that these speakers no longer qualify for "support". Exploring on the web suggests that I'm far from alone in experiencing this problem with 5.1 speakers. I'm unclear how a PC identifies that speakers are attached, or why they fail to show on Sound\Playback. I shall be online Weds from 13.30 onwards, and look fwd to any guidance how to overcome this problem. Needless to say, the speakers functioned perfectly under Vista 32-bit Home Premium!!

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

Unfortunately new Realtek driver makes no difference: still no sound, nor any visibility of the speakers on Control Panel\Sound. Now unclear whether new Realtek driver is actually the appropriate one. Previously, I had installed the driver recommended for my motherboard. Any insights, please? Also WHY do the speakers not show on Control Panel\Sound\Playback?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Needless to say, the speakers functioned perfectly under Vista 32-bit Home Premium!!"

Which is an indication that there is nothing wrong with the speakers,or with your computer's audio components - this is an operating system problem. The speakers were first available in 2006, so it's not a complete surprise that Creative says the speakers are 'at the end of their service life' as far as technical support goes.

These speakers do not require any software or drivers to operate - they should simply work when you plug them in.

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

But how does Windows "know" that the speakers are plugged in, and WHY does it not display them in Control Panel\Sound\Playback?

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

I also notice that several facilities on the Sound Card fail to function, typically coming back with the message "Audio Device may not be present or may be operating in an unsupported mode". Does this indicate something wrong with the driver of the Sound Card, downloaded in line with advice from Lazarus (see above input from him)?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Does this indicate something wrong with the driver of the Sound Card, downloaded in line with advice from Lazarus (see above input from him)?"

I have no way of knowing whether or not the sound card driver is OK.

Have you tried removing the sound-card from its slot,and connecting the speakers to the motherboard?

Like this post
b0pper

Likes # 0

Final Message >>> in desperation, I uninstalled RealTek drivers and the entire X-Fi package. Then reinstalled that same package, then the up-to-date RealTek drivers and X-Fi XtremeGamer drivers. This then set everything right: speakers now correctly displayed, and producing better sound quality via Creative's Media Source 5 than I recall from Windows Media Player.

A genuine "Thank you!" to contributors, esp. Lazarus who suggested options for resolving my difficulty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'