We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Libraries ~ Can I exclude Files and Folders

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

I don't like Libraries, mainly because they allow any passing geek, immediate to access every File and Folder that I have.

Look in Documents Library and you get all my Spread Sheets, Accounts etc, also the draft of my Autobiography and other ephemera that I would prefer to keep to myself.

In the Pictures Library, there are the Holiday snaps that anyone can view and all my Curling rubbish, but also my Rock memorabilia that I would like to keep for the aforesaid Autobiography.

Is there an easy way that I can deny, Libraries, Access to selected Files and Folders?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I don't use "Libraries" at all in either Windows 7 or 8. I have a folder called "My Data" in D drive (a separate partition) in Windows 7 and in C drive in Windows 8. All of my files go into sub-folders within My Data and nothing goes into Windows' default (Libraries) folders.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

mgmcc: Unfortunately everything you file appears to go into Libraries. Just open one up and there they are, whether you wish it or no.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Here's a registry hack you can use if you don't like/want Libraries

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Thanks Lotvic: I have been considering that route and your posting has given me an additional way of going about it.

Maybe it is the right solution for me, but I'm still looking to see if I can just, completely hide a couple of Folders - with no reference to them in the Libraries Folder,

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm the same as mgmcc. Have my own folders for docs, music etc, don't use the Windows' default folders. Nothing showing in libraries. I can add my own folder to a library if I wish, or remove it in the particular library folder, via properties.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

wee eddie

If all you are worried about is that others can access your PC when you are not there can't you just send the PC to sleep so that it requires a password on waking?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

difarn: I have no trouble with anyone else using my PC, I would just prefer it that they don't have certain papers immediately available to them.

I don't have any need for a Secure Vault of any kind, they're not that critical, I just don't want all my linen to be immediately available to anyone opening the Library. If someone wants to find anything on my PC, all they really need is an understanding of a normal filing trail, or do a Search.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Don't you have a separate User Account for someone else using your PC?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

difarn: I'm the only one that lives here regularly, although visitors frequently use the PC for emails and suchlike.

I think that FE added a certain item to the PCA Front Page, not necessarily solely for my benefit, but also for the benefit of the many that feel the same way as I do.

One of the things about starting a thread, is that it concentrates the mind, marvellously.

Encapsulation is, I think, going to be my answer, a bit like Russian Dolls. After all, if someone really wants to find something on my PC they don't really have to work that hard.

I've just been looking for sufficient security to stop someone accidentally running across the Files that I feel are personal.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Of course, if someone does have an answer, that is more effective, my ears/eyes are always open!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014