We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have been given a dead laptop

Gas & Air

Likes # 0

Can you please help with this problem?

I have been given a dead laptop; It has been lying around for about three years before it was given to me. I have had it since December 2012. The H D had been fully formatted so there is no back up files or Vista files on it. I replaced the motherboard and it now shows some life. On start up the HP screen appears and at the bottom Esc or press F10. On the Esc key it tries to set up windows but this then returned could not find HD drive. With the F10 key I was able to do primary H D Disk Self Test this did not find any faults.

I attached the Hitachi HD drive via USB to my hp510 and then done check disk for bad sectors all is fine with this drive and it takes on board any file that I copy to it. I tried to install xp and Windows 95 from CD but I have had no luck. As I do not have vista 1. G5056EA 2. p/n GF769EA#ABU 3. HP G5000 These are the screen sots that I can obtain to date so I think the laptop should work.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

"On the Esc key it tries to set up windows" - from where? Have you set it to boot from a disc, or the built in HD first?

"I tried to install xp and Windows 95" - these old OS install/setup discs are unlikely to include the drivers necessary to see the laptop's SATA interface, unless there's an option in the BIOS to change SATA mode to IDE, which will give you slower performance.

Try a Vista or Windows 7/8 DVD, or even a recent version of Ubuntu.

Like this post
Gas & Air

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply

"On the Esc key it tries to set up windows" - from where?

Attempts to install from the C D drive.

Ive tried to install XP but it also stops saying Setuo did not find any hard disk drives in your computer. but it is shown in the first boot when it first initializes ie Fix disk 0: Hitachi

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

So do you have Vista or something later to install from? As I said, XP usually needs drivers on a floppy or slipstreamed into the installation disc to see SATA interfaces in Setup.

The machine itself can see it, but not the setup program that XP's installer runs.

Like this post
Gas & Air

Likes # 0

Thanks Jaywoo

Should have vista by Wednesday The problem is that I cant access the web to down load to this Laptop Ive tried to via my HP510 but everyting I do wants to load only to the 510

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

" I cant access the web to down load to this Laptop Ive tried to via my HP510 but everyting I do wants to load only to the 510"

Can you elaborate, I don't understand that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......