We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updating to internet explorer 10 in Windows 7 and retaining compatibility

Rutlander

Likes # 0

I have both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of IE9. The 32 bit version is there so I can use an old version of Quicken. Can I update the 64 bit IE9 to IE10 and retain the 32 bit IE9 as it is so I can continue to use the older programmes?

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

The version of IE10 that you install depends on the Win 7 version you are running. I assume you have the 64 bit version installed.

You need to download and install the IE10 version for Win 64 bit.

Once the installation is complete you will notice that both 32 bit and 64 bit versions have been installed in the appropriate Program folders.

The 32 bit version runs by default and even if you run the 64 bit one it will still be 32 bit. The reason is that if you want to run the 64 bit then you need to enable it: How to Enable 32-bit or 64-bit Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) in Windows 7

I should add that for most users the 64 bit is not useful because of compatability and add on issues.

I hope this helps.

Like this post
Rutlander

Likes # 0

Thank you. I have windows 7 professional plus so I have both the 64 bit & 32 bit IE9 installed. I use the 64 bit one mainly (I also use Firefox a lot). I may use the 32 bit one on the few occasions when I am in Virtual XP mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015