We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 keeps shutting down

dan mcphail

Likes # 1

i have just installed win 8,it keeps shutting down due to a problem,then restarts by it self,thinking of going back to win y,can anyone help please

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

a bit more info would be helpful Specs of PC, i.e. motherboard, cpu, memory etc. Is this a clean install of Win 8 or an upgrade, if an upgrade what version of windows have you upgraded from.

How long does it stay on before it restarts?

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
dan mcphail

Likes # 0

to Aquatarkus memory 3.00 gb processor AMD E-350 windows pro 64 bit ,ugrade from windows7takes about 3 min to restart,any ideas ? thanks in advance

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Did you run the Windows upgrade advisor to see if any of you programs were incompatible?

I would carry out a refresh of the installation, put the DVD in to drive, make sure you can boot from the drive and then follow the on screen prompts.

Upgrade installs can be a pain and I always recommend a clean install if at all possible, back up your important documents photos etc and then carry out a clean install.

A list of programs and antivirus / security programs that were on the Win 7 installation would be handy as it could be one of these that is causing the problem.

How old is the PC, have you checked that the CPU fan is not covered / blocked with dust, also have you checked that the CPU fan and thermal paste is correctly installed?

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried in safe mode by holding down the Ctrl button and tapping F8 as the computer starts.

If so you can do a repair on it but you would loose everything that you have downloaded.

If you get in maybe a system restore or last good configuration.Check in device Manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone