We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scheduled backup failed. / Not enough space onRecovery (e).

geordiefred

Likes # 0

Dell 1545 Inspiron (32 bit)Vista Windows Home Premium. Last night whilst on-line warning came up "scheduled backup failed." Followed by warning "not enough space" on Recovery (E). Checking that I found listed on the disk : Dell; Dell PC Program Files; Sources; Users ; Windows (11,821 items / 894 MB; Media ID.bin. I have transferred all those files to a USB memory stick.

Can I wipe the Recovery Disk (E)?

It is showing Recovery (E) Local Disk 14.6 GB Free Space 9.96 MB

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 1

Hi Geordiefred ,

Double click E Drive(Recovery Partition) and delete the following files "MediaID.bin" & "Folder with Computer / User name". Do not wipe the entire partition as it has a recovery image for your PC

The problem is caused due to the Microsoft Back & Restore Center not being configured correctly , It Tries to back up your data from the C drive to a Recovery Partition ( E Drive- Very small in size compared to C Drive ) . You could change the setting under the backup and restore center to back up the data onto a DVD or a External HDD- Which would avoid this problem in future .

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
geordiefred

Likes # 0

Dell-Harish K, Thank you for your post, and I will give that a try. Is it 100% safe, as I am self taught on a computer, only 3 years experience, and I still class myself as a novice.

Like this post
geordiefred

Likes # 0

Dell-Harish K, Am trying to do what you suggest. The Media ID bin shows 1kb. I have clicked to 'Delete', but it has been running now for 6 minutes with no indication that the Media ID bin has been deleted.

Also, 2 nights ago I transferred contents of the Recovery E to a USB memory stick. Geordiefred.

Like this post
geordiefred

Likes # 0

Dell-Harish K, The Media ID bin has now deleted, but where will I find the other file, ie. "Folder with computer/user name." which you refer to ?

Like this post
Dell-Harish

Likes # 0

Hi Geordiefred ,

If "Folder with computer/user name."- Does not exist,You could ignore that step. Make sure you change the setting on Back up and Restore center - Change the Default backup location from E Drive to a DVD / External HDD, So that the issue does not reoccur .

http://dell.to/10gUs0r

Regards,

Dell-Harish K

Like this post
geordiefred

Likes # 0

Dell-Harish, Thanks for your guidance, and I have now removed the Recovery (E:). Hopefully everything will be working fine, now, and the incessant pop up warning "Low Disk Space" will cease. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more