We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive errors on windows 8 dual-boot

georgemackey86

Likes # 0

I am running a HDD with windows 8 32-bit, & a SSD with windows 8 64-bit. Whichever drive I select, my two data HDD's show errors, e.g recycle bin corrupted, or they are simply missing data that was there when loaded via the other platform.

All drives are cleanly installed, & AHCI was selected in the BIOS before installation. I need both versions, as some of my vital 32-bit programmes won't work with the 64-bit W8 & vice-versa. I use the BIOS to select the platform that I want to use, & they seem to boot up just fine.

Can anyone suggest a cause & solution please?

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Your two Windows installs and user accounts will have different security IDs associated with them. If the data drives are formatted NTFS (and they usually are) the ownership/permission to access the data files will depend on which Windows 8 install and which user account you used to create or manipulate the files. You can try creating a FAT32 partition to share data, which won't have the same security issues but is a less robust file-system than NTFS. Recycle bin problem is due to the same issue - they're system folders and one OS isn't allowed to access the recycle bin created/used by the other.

Like this post
georgemackey86

Likes # 0

Thank you very much Jaywoo. I shall create the FAT32 partition & try again.

George

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund