We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC suddenly boots very, very slowly

Throbber
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Acer PC has just started to boot very slowly indeed. It gets to the manufacturers screen "Acer" logo, which also has "Del: Enter Setup" and F12: Boot Menu" on screen. It then hangs for between 5 and 10 minutes, and no keys I press have any effect. It then moves into the "select user" screen, and again hangs for several minutes before I can use the mouse to select user. After that, it seems to work fine. Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try sfc /scannow in command prompt and see if that helps.

Check device manager for yellow exclamation marks.

Not downloaded a new anti-virus lately without removing the old one properly.

Maybe give malwarebytes a run to see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Also try msconfig to see if there are any start up programs that you can untick.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tap F8 as it first starts go into advanced menu - select start up repair

you may have to do this a few times to solve the problem.

Like this post
christina.john

Likes # 0

You actually need a bit of PC maintenance habit on regular intervals. DO the following:

1. Disable Startup Programs typing "msconfig" in run. Untick the apps under Startup section you do not want to start at Startup Automatically.

2. Clean cookies and temp files. CCleaner i think is best for such purpose

3. Defrag Registry and fix registry Errors. For that, i suggest u to use Registry Recycler. Its quite popular nowdays can find from any reputable download site.

4. Double click hard drives and use disk tool Disk Defragmentation. Defragmentation will organize files and will allow apps to laod faster.

5.type "View Advanced System Settings" and adjust your PC for best performance. And increase virtual memory.

Hopefully, this will make your life much easier

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

1 Registry Recycler Review which says it all I suppose.

Click Here

So probable Spam from christina.john even though the program is free and popular it is not.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CCleaner will do all that christina.john sugestedit is very safe and east to us recommended by many on this forum.

Here is a quick explanation of CCleaner's features.

Cleaner

Using the Cleaner window (the default window when you launch CCleaner), you'll notice several checked boxes that indicate which areas of your computer will be cleaned. Most of the boxes are checked by default, so pay close attention if you only want to scrub certain areas. Tabs at the top offer the ability to clean Windows areas and other applications. Switching between the two tabs allows you to make your choices for a customized cleaning.

When you're done with your settings, click the Analyze button on the lower left to see which items will be cleaned. You'll see every file CCleaner will delete and also exactly how much memory will be returned to your system after the cleaning.

Note: It pays to peruse this list before hitting the Run Cleaner button to make sure you're not deleting something important. When you're ready, hit Run Cleaner and watch CCleaner go to work.

Registry

Click the Registry button on the left side of the interface to bring up another set of checked boxes. This set of tasks does everything from eliminating unused file extensions to trashing obsolete software. Uncheck the boxes you don't want to scan and click the Scan for Issues button. At the end of the scan you'll be given the option to click the Fix Selected Issues button. Recommend tick all except Run at start up.

Note: It is highly recommend you save your current Registry configuration at the prompt in case of a malfunction later. An additional window will ask if you wish to fix specific items. If you know of a specific item in the list that is not a problem, simply tell CCleaner not to fix it by unticking the box. Remember, if you save your configuration beforehand a mistake here is easily reversible.

Tools

Uninstall - Windows comes with its own Add or Remove Programs utility, but it's often slow to load and not the easiest Control Panel item to configure. CCleaner quickly lists all of your active programs, and lets you highlight and uninstall software you no longer want. This part of the program utilizes tools already included in Windows, but the convenience and speed for quick uninstallations is tough to beat.

Startup manager - To manage your start-up programs, click the Startup button under the Uninstall button in the upper left of the interface. You'll see a list of active start-up items that launch when you boot up your system. Be very careful here: some items are not immediately identifiable and you wouldn't want to shut down your firewall, antivirus program, or any other important program.

System Restore - This will show you all the restore points on your machine (they can take up a lot of space), the latest one is greyed out so you cannot remove it . To remove any or all of the others just highlight the restore point listed and click on the Remove button.

Drive Wiper - Here you have the option to "erase" an entire drive or just the freespace on a drive. What happens is CCleaner overwrites the drive / space with zeros making the data unrecoverable. In the security box you have the option to select how many time CCleaner will write over the space / drive, 1 is sufficient for normal use, 3 will stop data recovery programs from finding anything, 7 is secure from anyone expect CSI and 35 is just paranoid.

Note the bigger the drive / larger number of passes the longer it will take.

Options

Settings - Allows you to set language and other options. Run at startup will wipe your temp files and user history eveytime you log on.

Cookies - Lists cookies to be deleted if you want to keep certain cookies because they hold log in details for your favourte sites then just highlight the cookie and click the right arrow key to move into the right hand column.

Include - Allows you to add folders, that are not in CCleaners default list, that you need deleteing everytime CCleaner runs.

Exclude - Allows you to add folders that may be in the default list that you do not want CCleaner to remove.

Advanced - Lets you select / deselect options advanced users may decide to untick things like warning messages and backup prompts.

Once you've run through the entire cleaning process, don't be surprised if your computer runs a bit faster.

Depending on the capacity of your hard drive, you'll also free up a shocking amount of space

Like this post
Throbber

Likes # 0

Thanks to all. I do regularly run Ccleaner, defrag etc. However, after I had posted I noticed that my C drive was over 90% full. I removed some clutter, and that seems to have fixed the slow boot problem. Many thanks again for your help.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK