We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can i run 2 HDD's

churgestrauss

Likes # 0

I have just installed Win 7 but media player won't recognise some cd's. Swaping the hdd for a Win xp drive the problem is cured. Can i connect xp drive as second drive or will it make a conflict when booting up ?

mobo asus F1A 55-M LX sata conections only

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Can i connect xp drive as second drive"

Yes, but pc will boot into W7 and you won't be able to use any programs that are on the XP drive (it will just be another slave drive)

W7 cable to motherboard sata 0 and XP cable to sata 1

I have the same setup. When I want to boot into XP I swap the cables on back of harddrives (before I switch the pc on) and then the W7 harddrive is on Sata 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sorry I made a Typo it should be: then the XP harddrive is on Sata 0

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"When I want to boot into XP I swap the cables on back of harddrives (before I switch the pc on) and then the W7 harddrive is on Sata 0"

Why not just switch the boot order in the BIOS?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Why not just switch the boot order in the BIOS?"

I keep forgetting about that, Would be better way for churgestrauss.

On mine: Tried all ways I know, Can't, I don't (seem to) get that option to choose which sata harddrive. Ancient Dell bios. I'm open/grateful to suggestions if you know a way.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I think you may find this a better way of proceeding

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

To my knowledge, the two OS's can be on the same or different Hard Drives. You may need a boot manager to make your second OS bootable from within the first - there are loads of these around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparisonofboot_loaders

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't know about churgestrauss but I don't want a dual boot set up on this pc (as it is only a temporary set up before I ditch XP altogether or buy a new bare bones pc)

On re-reading opening post, I think OP should be trying to find out why Win 7 media player won't recognise some cd's.

Have to wait and see if churgestrauss posts again.

Like this post
churgestrauss

Likes # 0

A really big thankyou for all the help and advise.

The final answer to my dilema ended up with a really easy solution in the form of a StarTech mobile rack. The rack fits into a 5.25 bay and connects to the same mobo sockets as original hdd. I was not happy with plugging in and out on mobe every time i wanted to change hdd.

I now have a computer with hdd's dedicated to Win XP, Vista and Win 7 so i'm now spoilt for choice

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's great, and a better solution than having to go inside pc each time to swap hds.

If you think it's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED